Go to main content

If you are rejected

If you are dissatisfied with a decision by licensing or other authorities, you are often entitled to request an amendment of the decision. How and where you do this vary depending on which authority made the decision and whether you are lodging an appeal or requesting a reconsideration.


To request a reconsideration, contact the authority which made the decision and ask it to reconsider your case. Your request should include information about how you believe the decision should be amended and the circumstances under which the requested amendment is based.

If the authority comes to the conclusion that its decision is manifestly incorrect as a result of new circumstances or for some other reason, it must change its decision in accordance with the applicants´ wishes. The reconsideration procedure must be fast and simple.

Reconsideration may not normally result in a decision that is more unfavourable to the applicant than the original decision. In principle, any number of requests for reconsideration may be made and the procedure is not subject to any limitation rules.

An authority is responsible for reconsidering a decision of its own accord if it finds that the decision has been manifested incorrectly. Even when an authority reconsiders a decision of its own accord, this does not normally result in a decision that is more unfavourable to the applicant than the original decision.


In most cases, you can appeal against an authority's decision to a higher authority. This is usually a court, but may also be another authority.

The appeal must be submitted within a certain time after you receive the decision. The appeal must be made in writing and must indicate the decision against which you are appealing and the requested amendment. The appeal should be addressed to the authority or court that will consider the case, but sent to the authority that made the decision. This is to give the original deciding authority a chance to reconsider its decision before forwarding the appeal to the relevant authority or court.