Go to main content

Moving to Sweden to start a business

Moving to Sweden to start a business

If you are a foreign citizen and want to start a company in Sweden, different rules apply depending on whether you are a citizen of another EU/EEA country or a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA.

As an EU citizen, you can operate a business in Sweden and will have the same rights and obligations as Swedish entrepreneurs.  

You must have a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and plan to work for a period longer than three months to start up or run your own business. You apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). As self-employed you are not allowed to take employment with any employer. You apply at a Swedish mission abroad in your native country or the country you are living in. 

The Swedish Migration Agency 

A coordination number is a unique identifier that the Swedish Tax Agency can assign to an individual who has never been listed in the Population Register. 

You can apply for a coordination number yourself if you need one and have a connection to Sweden. 

Coordination numbers at the Swedish Tax Agency

If you are planning to run a business in Sweden you can also be assigned a coordination number when you get approved for F-tax. Apply for F-tax approval via our e-service “Registration of foreign companies in Sweden” or by filling in form SKV 4632 “Tax application for foreign entrepreneurs”. 

Registration of foreign companies in Sweden at the Swedish Tax Agency

Tax application for foreign entrepreneurs (SKV 4632) at the Swedish Tax Agency (in Swedish) 

In most cases, you will need to book an appointment and visit a state service centre in person for an identity check before the Swedish Tax Agency can issue you with a coordination number.

If you stay here for less than six months (i.e. you have limited tax liability), you will be assigned a special registration number (a GD number) when you are approved for F-tax.

1. Decide on the business type

Before you start a business, you must first decide on the business type. The most common business type to start with is a sole trader. That means that you, as a private individual, own, operate and are responsible for the business. You will be personally responsible for paying your taxes and social insurance contributions, known as “personal contributions” (egenavgifter).

2. Register the company

If you intend to operate as a sole trader, you are not required to register your company with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket). However, registration does protect the company name. If you do not register, someone else might register a company with the same name.

If you are going to start a limited company, a trading partnership, limited partnership or economic association, you must register your company with the Swedish Companies Registration Office.

Choose business type and register

3. Register with the Swedish Tax Agency

All companies must register with the Swedish Tax Agency. When you register, you can apply for F-tax approval, register for business VAT, and register as an employer.

Tax registration at the Swedish Tax Agency

Registered Societas Europaea, European Cooperative Societies, and European Economic Interest Groupings can transfer their registered office to another member state within the EU.

For more information please contact: bolagsverket@bolagsverket.se

Support and advice for EU nationals

Your Europe is an EU site designed to help you do things in other European countries – avoiding unnecessary inconvenience and bureaucracy.

Your Europe website

Help us improve

Let us know what you think by rating this page and answering a few questions.

Leave feedback at Your Europe