Go to main content

Deregistration and accounting for the sale of assets and liabilities

Here you can read about deregistration and accounting for the sale of assets and liabilities.

If the company has sold all assets and liabilities, the natural step is to liquidate the company. However, it may also be that the company has only sold one branch of the activity and then deregistration may not be necessary. It may also be the case that certain parts must be deregistered, for example VAT.  

If you have deregistered your company with the Swedish Companies Registration Office, the company will be deregistered for F-tax, VAT and as an employer with the Tax Agency. Otherwise, keep in mind that you may have different deregistration dates for F-tax, VAT and as an employer, which will affect how long you must submit tax returns. 

Revoke F-tax and deregister as an employer and from VAT

In the service here at verksamt.se you can cancel the company's F-tax, deregister it as an employer and deregister it from VAT.

F-tax, VAT, employer and SNI

Revoking F-tax 

When you sell your company's assets and liabilities and the company ceases economic activities, you must request that the company's F-tax approval be revoked. 

End employer registration 

You must submit a notice of deregistration as an employer when the company no longer pays any compensation for work performed. 

The company shall report employer's contributions and tax deducted for all accounting periods up to and including the date of deregistration in the employer's declaration.  

If the company has nothing to declare, the button "Deklarera noll (Declare nothing)" button in the Swedish Tax Agency's PAYE Tax Return service, and if you want to declare zero on a form, complete only the form "Arbetsgivardeklaration Huvuduppgift (Employer Tax Return Main Declaration) (SKV 4786)". Complete boxes 487 and 497 with a zero (0). Leave the other boxes blank. 

End VAT registration 

You must notify the Swedish Tax Agency of deregistration for VAT when the company no longer has any activities subject to VAT. 

The company must report VAT for all accounting periods up to and including the date of deregistration. VAT on claims and liabilities shall be recorded in the final VAT return. This applies whether you use the balance sheet method or the invoicing method. If there is nothing to declare, enter zero (0) in the "Moms att betala eller få tillbaka (VAT to be paid or recovered)" box. 

Deregister via form

If you are unable to use the e-services, you can use paper forms to deregister your sole trader from F-tax, VAT, or as an employer, and change information.

Download the Swedish Tax Agency's form 4639

Submit income statements 

From income year 2019, new rules apply. From this date, most employers will have to report payments and tax deductions at individual level in their employer's declaration. Statement must be made every month, meaning you no longer need to submit an annual income statement for these payments. 

Company income tax return 

You must provide a tax return for the company as long as it is registered with the Swedish Companies Registration Office. This also applies if you have notified deregistration for F-tax, VAT and as an employer to the Tax Agency. 

Commercial property 

If the company sells a commercial property, you must declare the sale in the company's income tax return 4. The company shall reverse previously granted depreciation allowance as revenue in the economic activity. The company must also reverse deductions for value-enhancing repairs made in the year of sale and the previous five years. 

Partner's income declaration 

You must declare your share of the business in your income tax return. 


You must reverse tax allocation reserves and expansion funds when the company is no operating the economic activity. The reversal will affect your result. In some cases, you can make use of the rules on accumulated income when reversing funds to get a lower national income tax. 

Commercial property 

If property is included in the assets sold by the company, it is you as a partner who is taxed. You must report the sale in the capital tax schedule. Remember to adjust your share of the company's result by your share of the accounted profit or loss on the Tax Agency’s form N3A. 

For a legal person, the result of the sale must also be calculated in the capital tax schedule. On the other hand, the profit from the sale must be taxed in the economic tax schedule for legal partners. 

Download the Swedish Tax Agency's form N3A (in Swedish)

Tax account 

Neither the company nor the shareholder tax account are affected by the fact that the company's assets and liabilities or share is sold.