Go to main content

Which services are covered?

Neither the Services Directive nor other legislation specifies the exact services that are covered. The list below covers the services that the competent Swedish authorities (municipalities, County Administrative Boards and public sector agencies) have identified as currently falling within their remit. A list of services not covered by the Directive is provided at the bottom.

Municipal authorisations, etc

Alcohol licence
Building permit
Demolition permits 
Electronic cigarettes and refill containers
Environmentally hazardous activities that require notification, C-activities 
Explosives – use, store, trade in and transfer
Flammable goods
Flavouring of schnapps 
Food businesses
Hygienic piercing treatment
Itinerant street trading
Medium-strong beer
Swimming pool facilities
Tastings of alcoholic beverages
Tobacco products

County Administrative Board authorisations, etc

Animal husbandry
Chemical products
Combat sports events 
Food production
Protected live animals, trade
Registering an interest for commissions in contract archaeology
Temporary exhibition of animals
Vehicle scrappage
Wild animals in zoos
Zoo facility

Central Sectoral Agencies

Aid-assessed secure housing (SoL)
Alarm installations
Animal by-products
Animal experiment activities
Blood establishments
Breed societies 
Car hire (rental)
Cash register certification
Certain pipelines
Certificate issuers for financial plans
Cisterns and pipelines for inflammable liquids
Commercial trade in second-hand goods
Companion service (LSS)
Conduct a driving school
Conduct driving training for moped class II, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles
Conduct introduction training for private driving training, class B (for companies)
Daily activities (LSS)
Debt collection activities 
Dissemination of aerial photography
Economic association/co-operative
Electric power lines
Electrical installation company
Embryo operations
Explosives – manufacturing and destruction
Explosives – transfer (intra community and within Sweden) and import
Fluorinated greenhouse gases (f-gases)
Food and nutrition laboratories
Goods dangerous to health
Hallmarking of precious metals
Home care (SoL)
Homes for care or residence (HVB) (SoL)
Homes for certain other in-patient care 'short-term housing' (SoL)
Hotel and guesthouse operations
Housing with special services for adults (LSS)
Housing with special services for children and young people (LSS)
Housing with special services for people with functional impairments (LSS)
Hydrographic information
Hydrographic survey
Import of weapons
Insemination activities
Inspection of assembly tents
Inspection of funfair facilities
Laboratory animals
Limited company
Lockpicking devices
Marketing of agricultural seed
Marketing of forest reproductive material
Microwave drying
Natural gas pipelines
Nautical charts
Non-institutional care/day activities (SoL)
Non-prescription (over-the-counter) medicines
Non-therapeutic male circumcision
PCB products
Personal assistance (LSS)
Personal contact service (LSS)
Postal activities
Public gatherings
Registered audit firm
Relief service in the home (LSS) 
Sales and trading of fishery and aquaculture products 
Service with counsellor support for family homes and emergency foster homes that receive children
Short period of supervision for schoolchildren over the age of 12 (LSS)
Short term stay away from home (LSS)
Slaughter of farmed game
Slaughter of poultry
Sole trader
Special housing types for the elderly (SoL)
Supported housing (SoL)
Tissue establishments
Trade in technical spirits and alcoholic preparations
Trade in weapons
Trading partnerships
Travel agents, tour operators
Wine producer
Wood measurement act

Services not covered

Financial services 
Security services
Electronic communication services
Audiovisual services
Transport services
Healthcare services
Gambling activities 

Support and advice for EU nationals

Your Europe is an EU site designed to help you do things in other European countries – avoiding unnecessary inconvenience and bureaucracy.

Your Europe website

Help us improve

Let us know what you think by rating this page and answering a few questions.

Leave feedback at Your Europe